Kitchen islands have been a staple in modern day setups but for those who don’t have enough space to fit one there is always a movable island at your disposal. Even if you do have the space to integrate a permanent kitchen island the cost of building one as well as the time it takes may not be ideal for you at the moment.
Instead of feeling bad that you can’t have one because of these hindrances you can always turn to a portable island that will fit in most spaces today. It is basically the same as that of a permanent area with the exception that this one has wheels installed for portability.
Best Movable Kitchen Island Styles
A movable island gives you the freedom to use it in any way you like and store it afterwards when not in use. You can wheel it around and bring it closer to your cooking station if you will use your cart as an additional work station. When you look at the portable island you will find that the space underneath is usually converted into a storage area so you can put your utensils and other cooking items here for easy access. The best part is that the wheels of it can be locked into place for stability then unlocked when you need to transfer it to another location.
Now that you have an idea on the vast potential of it and how can you find the perfect one for your space when there are so many options for you to consider? Well, here are five things that you need to take into account when you want to get one for it.
- Space – The dimensions should be factored in when looking for one of these. This is important because you don’t want to end up with the wrong sized area. By measuring the available space you have in it will be a breeze for you to find a matching island to add to your function in no time.
- Kitchen Style – You should also consider the existing style you have in your home when you look for it. After all, you are integrating a new furniture which should either compliment your existing design or at least blend with it unless you are planning on giving it a complete overhaul.
- Function – Think about how you will use it. This way, you will be able to decide which design will work best for you. You can use it as a work station, serving area or as storage only. Once you have decided how you are going to use it, it will be a lot easier for you to narrow down your options.
- Features – When looking for one it is only right that you factor in the features that it has before making a final decision. Since there are dozens of designs for you to consider not all of them have the same features. Some may have closed storage spaces while others have open storage. You can find kitchen islands with drawers and shelves while others have extra counter that you can flip outwards for additional surface to use.
- Materials – It is made from different materials which is why you should factor this too when searching for one. After all, when it comes to furniture you should look for one that will last you for a long time. Among the top materials used for them are wood, granite and stainless steel.
Islands for Kitchen Types and Styles
Adding islands for kitchens is one way to give your space its much needed edge since this type of furniture offers more than just storage but also an extra space for you to fix your meals. When you take a look at designs for it you will find that they can provide you with the same convenience as that of your traditional cabinets with the addition of a spacious work area for the best cooking experience there is.
What can you get from them? The obvious benefits to be gained from this particular type of furniture are its storage and work area. Another advantage is separating your work and cooking station to the serving area. You can also use it to assign the flow of traffic and even open up more space for the rest of the family to get together for some family bonding moments.
Customizing Islands for Kitchen
Although there are dozens of designs available, sometimes you can’t find exactly what you are looking for. If this is the case it wouldn’t be too bad to go for customizing islands for kitchen so all of your needs will be met to the letter. How can you go on about this? Well, you need to identify your needs first so you will be able to come up with a plan for it. If you want to have that extra space to store your things, then design your cabinet with added depth so you can keep a lot of items in it.
What about appliances like refrigerator? There are some ones that do have this accessory included so you might want to think about doing the same for it. You can even add an extra sink if you want so you can prep your meals faster and clean afterwards in a flash. Hire a contractor to set up your sink or stove or any other appliance you might think of adding in it.
After you have come up with a list of features you want it to have you should think about the aesthetic appeal of your island. Think about the existing look of your cooking area so you can match the design of it with it. When you say match this doesn’t mean that everything should look the same. Go for a design that can either compliment it or make it a centrepiece in it. To make it flow with the rest of your theme, apply similar colors and even trimmings to pull together your entire kitchen furniture.
Upgrading Cabinets and Countertops
Now that you have an idea on how to customize them you should think about revamping any existing cabinets or countertops to match that of your island. Upgrading the look of your cabinet or perhaps your countertop can certainly enhance the look of it even further. This is a good idea especially when you are in the process of renovating it. Think about the materials you will be using for your counter so it will match or blend with your island. Go for durable materials such as granite or marble to add a more striking effect.
As for the cabinets, if your island is made from wood you might want to use the same material to create new storage areas. Choose wood that is hardy and durable at the same time so that your cabinets will be able to hold up your items without difficulty. You can stain them if you want so they will match the rest of your furniture. Add trimmings and you can certainly make your cabinet system stand out too.
Giving your kitchen a face lift is something you should seriously consider especially when the look of it is no longer up to date. It would be great if you think about adding it to your space for added function. With it you will surely create a more modern look for it while at the same time make your space more functional than before.