Any homeowner who has drywall ceiling should know how to do basic ceiling repair on their own. There is always a possibility for it to get damaged due to water leaks, heavy loads or accidents like throwing a baseball high and forceful enough to go through the drywall. Fortunately, there are ways for you to do some repair on your own provided that you have the right tools for it as well as basic knowledge on how to fix a hole in the ceiling. If this is your first time to attempt to fix it, read on to find out how you can fix any damage to it on your own.
Ceiling Repair 101
When it comes to fixing a hole, you need to have the right tools. What you will need to have on hand for this are saw, pencil, utility knife, level, scrap , c-clamps, power drill, compound, mesh tape made from fiberglass, knife, paint and primer.
Here are the steps you need to follow when it comes to fixing.
- Create a square around the hole using pencil and level. Draw one side of the square using the hole as the center.
- Use your saw to saw three sides of the square while making sure that no debris will fall into the hole.
- Use your utility knife to remove the stud. Cut the line that is centered on the stud using the knife.
- Using ¼ lumber strengthen the repair by placing the lumber at the back. You should apply adhesive tape on the board’s back before placing it on the square.
- Use the c-clamps to secure the backing board. When you see adhesive coming from the boards this means that the bond is secured.
- Let the adhesive dry. Keep in mind to follow the instructions written at the back of the product. While you are waiting for the adhesive to dry, cut a scrap that can help cover the square. You should secure the scrap using nails or screws and power drill.
- Another important step when it comes to fixing is to apply mesh tape on the seams of the scrap. You should let the tape overlap one another for added security.
- Apply drywall compound onto the mesh tape using knife. Let it dry before sanding it. When it comes to the final touches of fixing make sure that the repaired section of the ceiling is the same as the rest.
- You should apply a few more coats of drywall compound before sanding it.
- Use primer on the newly repaired section of the ceiling before painting it. Paint further from the damaged section to create a more even stroke.
Ceiling Repair – How to Repair Drywall Cracks
Ceiling repair is not just for holes in the walls but for cracks as well. If you are wondering how to repair drywall cracks, the same steps mentioned above can be applied to the damaged section. If you have low one you can easily check if the insulation is still intact before doing the fixing. Don’t forget to apply a few more coats of the drywall compound on to the damaged area before sanding to allow a smoother finish.
If you want to find the best paint for your ceiling, make sure that you double check what hardware stores are offering so you can repaint the entire one if you see a color that you like. On the other hand, you can still get the same color as your old one when painting the newly repaired portion of your ceiling.
These steps can be done by anyone. In fact, even novice DIY homeowners will find them easier to apply as long as they have the right tools on hand. However, if the damage is way beyond your abilities to repair, let the experts handle the fixing on your home. This way, you can minimize the overall cost of repairs in the long run.
If you think you have what it takes to do the fixing on your own, make sure that you get all the proper tools and equipment on hand before you start repairing any damages to your ceiling.