Nowadays, kitchen island designs look more promising than before as designers integrate new furniture and equipment in their designs to suit the needs of their clients. Furniture are no longer the same as manufacturers have come up with ideas that make their products not just beautiful but can serve dual purpose as well. And because of these changes, modern kitchens are fast becoming popular in many households.
If you are thinking of remodeling it and want to integrate additional counter space to work on, looking at designs is a good place to start if you want to find something out of the ordinary. Just like it was mentioned before, there are plenty of ideas today that you can apply to your own area that will give it its much needed lift.
Great Kitchen Island Designs Ideas, Types, Styles and More
Your kitchen will need to be redesigned at one point especially when its look is already outdated. The good news is that in these times there are lots of plans for you to consider so that, regardless of how small or big your area is, you can still have the chance to make it look better than ever. Just to give you an idea, here are some examples of designs that you might want to try out in your own area.
- Simple ones– they have simple countertops are ideal for those who are just looking for an extra table to work on. This type of design is devoid of any accessories except for its smooth countertop that can be made out of granite, marble or any strong material. Some homeowners go for this type and use it as a place to entertain guests.
- Accessories – This type has add-ons integrated into the island. Usually a sink is embedded into this island so you can easily wash and prepare your ingredients. This is a great addition if you love serving salads or any easy-to-cook meals.
- Complete ones– When looking at them you will find one that has all the features you will need for your cooking. This type has cooking equipment included in the design so you can prepare your ingredients and start cooking in a flash. You can find it with traditional stoves embedded into the island while others have stoves that run on electricity. Convection stoves are also seen in other designs which prevent soot from clinging to your utensils.
- Grills – For homeowners who love to prepare grilled food you will find designs with built-in grills. There is no reason for you not to hold a barbeque party even when the weather is not cooperating since you can use it with a grill to create those mouth-watering grilled dishes you love. One thing that you need to consider when getting this design is that the material should be made from stone. The reason behind this is that stone materials heat up faster and won’t deteriorate easily.
As you can see, there are plenty of designs today that you can try out if you plan on giving it a makeover. It would be better if you measure the space you have and plan out how you want it to look like. By putting your ideas on paper you will be able to look for the best designs that will fit not just your preferences and your needs but your budget as well.
Oak Kitchen Island Design Problems and Types
If you have oak cabinets installed but they don’t match the rest of your furniture, you might want to consider adding an oak kitchen island to fill the gap. There are some homeowners who choose to have cabinets made from oak because they are both stylish and affordable.
However, there are times when this affordable cabinetry clashes with the rest of the furniture. This can be a problem especially if you don’t have a budget to do a major makeover. Fortunately, there are ways to solve this little problem and they are discussed in this article.
For some, oak cabinets are more than just additional storages but they are also worth more in terms of decorative value. Oak is one of the most popular types of wood available today and by turning them into cabinets, you are increasing your home’s value too. You don’t even have to worry about spending a lot of money because this type of oak kitchen cabinet is priced reasonably. So, what can you do if your new oak cabinet is not doing well with the rest of your design? Well, why not get one?
It is a type of furniture that you should invest on. Why? The island brings more than just another surface for you to work on. As a matter of fact, depending on the design and style that you will be choosing you can also get an extra storage and serving area too. Most designs today employ the use of it because they allow homeowners to become fully functional. You can already imagine how much time you get to save if you have all that space to work on while preparing your meals.
If you are tired of seeing the monotonous look of your oak cabinet, introducing one can break it apart while at the same time giving you a more appealing space. It can also add a more modern look to it. If, for example, your cabinets are stained, you can go for it that is not. This two toned look can actually help in improving the feel of it.
You can change the way your cabinets look by painting them with new colors. This is a cheaper alternative compared to having to tear down the entire area just to match the rest of your furniture with your oak cabinet. There are many color palettes for you to choose from so this won’t be a problem at all.
Adding More Definition to Your Space
If you are still worrying about the way it looks after installing your oak cabinets, you might want to think of other furniture pieces that will go well with them. Aside from it you might want to add microwave carts to your space too so you can make it even more functional. These carts usually hold the microwave so you will have more space in your counter.
The fun part about microwave carts is that they can be made from different materials and oak is just one example. Of course, the counter where the microwave will be placed can be made from other materials such as those that are hardy enough to withstand the heat coming from this unit. Blending this furniture with the rest of your design will surely help in creating a more functional and working space for you to enjoy.
Don’t be hindered with designing it just because you have oak cabinets in place. If you can go beyond this piece of furniture you will find that they aren’t really an eyesore but they do need some help in creating the perfect design for your space.
Movable microwave carts and oak kitchen island are just two examples of how you can merge the rest of your furniture with your cabinets without having to spend a lot of money. Of course, it can provide you more than just a decorative piece but it can also be used in several ways just like what was mentioned before.
Narrow Kitchen Island Styles and Types
Designing a small kitchen can be tough especially when your space is limited but with the right layout and furniture with a narrow kitchen island, you will be able to create a fully functional and stylish setup on your own. You might find it a bit difficult to find plans for small kitchens.
It seems that not many professionals and even homeowners are paying much attention to this type nowadays. Fortunately, all is not lost since there are some homeowners and even interior designers who combined their knowledge to help out those in need of a good design.
Since space is the issue here it would be better if you stay away from those bulky kitchen furniture because they tend to crowd this area. Although they can provide you with a functional cooking and serving station you won’t be able to enjoy them because you can bump into them when you move around. What you need to do, however, when designing it is to follow these steps:
- Measure your Kitchen Space – If you are thinking of renovating your small area to insert one you should first measure the space you have available. Measure any elevation that you might have in the kitchen so you can utilize the entire space properly.
- Use Proper Furniture – Like it was mentioned before, you shouldn’t buy those big cabinets or islands since they can occupy most of your space. What you need to get are those modern furniture in order to provide you with function in a compact manner.
- Use Modern Gadgets – If you want to open more space, aside from installing a narrow kitchen island, you can look for modern day gadgets that can speed up your preparation time. These tools mostly come in compact sizes which you can place on your counter without taking up too much space.
- Use Depth Cabinets – Since freestanding kitchen cabinets can take up space why not install wall cabinets with enough depth to accommodate your other utensils and ingredients? These cabinets will work perfectly with all kinds of design so this won’t be a problem for you if you are trying to coordinate everything in your space.
- Utilize Your Countertop – If you want to be able to insert one into your space, if you have any existing countertop you might want to use the space below it to add a freezer. This is a good way to getting the best of everything. You can have easy access to fresh ingredients any time and it will only take you a few seconds to put them on your counter for preparation.
Small setups can have big potentials as long as you know how to lay them out properly. And with one of these, you will still be able to enjoy the luxury of having an island in place for added comfort and convenience for you and the family.