Tips on how to paint bathroom tile
If you are short on funds but you like to give your bathroom a whole new look, why not start painting bathroom tile? They may no longer look as beautiful as before but this doesn’t mean that you need to replace them immediately. There are cheaper alternatives to this problem compared to having to spend hundreds of dollars just to tear them out and replacing them with newer ones and this is through painting them to cover any dirt or grime.
There are several products that you can use when painting a bathroom tile. Among these are latex, epoxy and oil paint. Before you start painting your old tiles you need to determine the amount of moisture on the walls and the condition as well. Don’t use enamel, epoxy and even spray paints to cover your old ones because they tend to flake. On the other hand, acrylic paint is perfect for the walls that have been primed and cleaned. You also need to get other tools first before you start painting your bathroom tiles.
The How Tos
Painting them for the first time is not that difficult. Even if you are just a beginner in home improvement you can do this project on your own. Here are some steps that can help you do this work perfectly.
1. Use dust sheets – Before you start, you need to cover your floors first with dust sheets. These dust sheets can help you clean your place easily after you work.
2. Prepare them – You should first clean your existing tiles prior to painting them. You can make use of abrasive cleaners and sponges to get rid of accumulated dirt and grime in between them. The abrasive cleaner is useful when it comes to removing any gloss on them. Use bleach and nail brush to remove grout. Don’t forget to soap down your walls with warm water and allow them to dry.
3. Remove tile gloss – You can use a sander to remove any remaining gloss on them. Don’t forget to do this step because it plays an important role on how long the new paint on them will last. Any gloss that gets left behind when you paint will affect the overall quality of your new paint and can result to flaking as well.
4. Apply primer – After sanding your tiles remove any dust that gets left behind. Afterwards, choose an oil based primer and apply it on them. You should do this twice so the paint you will use will adhere to them.
5. Sand the primer – You should sand the primer you have just applied to remove any uneven areas. It is important to work on a smooth surface when revamping the look of them.
6. Painting them – Use an oil based paint and paint brush to cover your old tiles. You should paint them at least three times to get the best effect. Don’t forget to allow them to dry before applying the second layer of paint. You should let the last layer of paint to dry for at least three days.
7. Finish the tiles and grout – It is recommended that you use clear urethane when finishing the grout and tiles. A bristle brush is the perfect tool for this job. Let the urethane dry based on the instructions indicated on the package.
When painting bathroom tiles you should choose colors that will blend nicely with the rest of your furnishings. For example, if you have designer bathtubs installed you might want to look for colors that will work in harmony with these bathtubs. Dark colored tiles can complement lighter colored designer bathtubs or vice versa. If you are having a hard time deciding which paint color to use, you can always look at different design magazines to get some ideas.
If you are ready to give your bathroom a whole new look but don’t have the budget for it, don’t despair. Painting bathroom tiles can help give it more impact to the eyes and the best part is that you won’t have to spend a lot of money in the process.