If you want to give your kitchen a makeover you should consider adding a custom ytype to it. Why not? After all this type of furniture is known to bring more life to your kitchen space since it can provide you with not just a beautiful and stylish kitchen but also a kitchen that allows you to prepare meals efficiently and in a more convenient manner.
It can be made using various materials like stainless steel, wood, marble or granite. Incorporating pre-built kitchen islands is one way to improve the look of your kitchen but there are times when the available designs are not to your liking. This is why it is very much in demand these days.
One advantage to having one is that it is designed according to your specific needs. As a matter of fact, you can have it match your own personal style of cooking so you will be able to work in the kitchen in relative ease. You can design it in a way where you can have more storage space and perhaps transform a part of it into a cooking area as well. You can be as creative as you can be when it comes to customizing it.
Planning a Custom Kitchen Island
Opting to do something like this instead of a pre-built one is a smart choice. Why? Well, there are several advantages to be gained when you use this type for your kitchen. However, before you start designing it, there are a few factors that you need to understand.
- Personalize – If you want to have a country style kitchen you should consider using wood for it. On the other hand if you want to have a modern looking kitchen, stainless steel would be an ideal choice for it. If you want to add more charm to your space, using wood materials with rich colors is worth a shot. Be as creative as you can be when it comes to designing it so you will have a unique looking furniture piece to enhance your kitchen space.
- Features – Like it was mentioned before, personalizing it can be a smart way of enhancing your kitchen’s overall look. Since you will be going for one you should consider your needs. Do you need to have an extra counter to prepare your ingredients? How about a cooking station? Should you add a stove or a sink to it? What about storage spaces? Can it hold more cabinets, shelves and drawers? These questions can help you determine what features you need to include in its overall design so you will have it to work with.
- Lighting – Another factor that you need to consider when building setup is its lighting system. Since you will be customizing the look of it is only right that you plan how you will be able to use this new addition to your kitchen especially at night. Determining the type of lighting fixtures to install and how much lighting you will need is critical to come up with the best design for it.
Designing your own kitchen means you have all the right to include whatever you want it to have. After all you are the one who will be using this furniture and it is only fair to design according to your needs and preferences. If you want to add cabinets underneath it then do so. Cabinets help prevent dust from accumulating on your kitchen utensils when not in use and they hide any of the clutter you have in the kitchen.
There are many styles of cabinets that you can incorporate it. Don’t forget to take into consideration the kinds of items you will be placing in these storage spaces. You should get ideas from home improvement magazines and online if you are running out of ideas on how to design your custom kitchen island. If you are confident with your designing skills, coming up with your own design will be a breeze.
How Important is Kitchen Island Height
Kitchen island height is the aspect in kitchen work space planning that is often looked over. People have the tendency to focus more on the design and decoration of the island, forgetting to consider the island height. They fail to consider that the height is a major factor that will affect their overall comfort in the long run. If the area has the wrong height, chances are you won’t be using it as often as you have planned in the first place.
According to the contractors, there are two heights to consider: the stand-up and sit-down heights. The standard stand-up height is 42 inches or 3.5 feet, while the standard seated height is 36 inches or 3 feet. These dimensions not only provide you with comfortable working area but also offer just enough space for storage cabinets under the island. Here are the other considerations in determining it.
Determining the right Height
1. Your own height. Yes, your own height matters – if you are taller, you will need a higher island. If you are shorter, you need to make the island shorter than the standard as well. Alternatively, if your kitchen comes with a built-in island already, you can install a step around the island or use a stool. The idea is to work with a height that is most comfortable for you.
2. The height of the rest of your existing cabinetry. Although there are cases wherein the island is higher, the most ideal is still to have the same island height as the rest of your kitchen. This provides symmetry in your work area.
3. Astand-up or sit-down workspace. Depending on your preference, you may either follow the standard stand-up or sit-down height. Will you be using the island for prep-work, cooking, or cleaning? Are planning to use it as breakfast area, or a space where your kids can have snacks while doing their homework? If you are planning to use it as a one-stop cooking area, you will have to use the standard stand-up height as you will be working mostly on your feet. For more casual dining and entertaining functions, the sit-down height is more appropriate.
If you think you will be using the island for all these functions, you may choose to use a multi-level design. This design will have a comfortable sitting area and a cooking space or serving area. Usually, both areas are facing each other. This is a good alternative for the single-level models.
4. The type. The height may also vary depending on the island type – if it is a permanent model or a mobile one.
5. The appliances you will be installing. For the permanent island models, they have the option of installing different appliances right on the island. This could be a sink, an oven, an undercounter refrigerator, a cooktop, deep fryer, or a dishwasher. Some would opt to use it as a shelving space for china, cooking utensils and wine. Whatever additional feature you want to add, you will have to make sure that you have just the right amount of room and height to accommodate all these (especially for cooktops as you will need a vent space).
The Importance of your decision
The height will also affect its overall design. A beautiful one will need the right proportions, dimensions and symmetry in relation to the rest of your kitchen like your cabinets. The island will be the center of activity in the kitchen, and will also be where the eyes will first be drawn to in terms of design.
The ideal height will primarily depend on your comfort. It should not be too short that you will have to stoop low, but not too high that you will have to be on the tips of your toes. Remember that it should make your cooking and baking experience easier, faster and more efficient. The wrong island height might be tolerable at first, but in the long run it will slow you down in the kitchen and may pose comfort problems in the future. You will spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so you might as well take time in careful planning incorporating the right height.